Type of intervention
- Nutrition, health, mental health and Care practices
- Food security and livelihoods
- Water, Sanitation & Hygiene
Places of interventions
Guinea is one of the poorest countries in Africa. It knows many ethnic, social and politicial conflicts. These conflicts contribute to the destabilization of the country..
ACF concentrates its interventions in the capital city, Conkry, where the uncontrolled population growth seriously threathens people’s health and where political and food prices instability are creating to important pockets of malnutrition. The organization supports the local population in nutrition, water and sanitation,and food security.
- European Union
- Barcelona City Council
Key figures of the country
- Beneficiaries: 26,675 people
- Population: 11.8 million
- Life expectancy at birth: 58.9 years
- Human Development Index: 0.344 (178 of 189)
Il n'y a pas de résultat
Water, sanitation and hygiene
- Prevention and preparation in case of a cholera epidemic
- Development of a map showing of the areas threatened by potential cholera outbreaks
- Support to the development of a national emergency plan specific to cholera epidemics
- Sensitization to best practices
- Support to arborists and urban farmers
- Cash for work
- Technical support to government institutions and civil organizations to enhance the treatment of malnutrition
- Training / sensitization on malnutrition prevention, diagnosis within the community
- Supervision of community leaders' work
- Strengthening mechanisms for preventing malnutrition in Conakry, such as breastfeeding and food diversification
- Sensitization and support to the creation of community support groups for breastfeeding and children’s adequate nutrition
- Surveys on knowledge, attitudes and practices
- Advocacy for a revision of the national nutritional protocol
ACF concentrates its programs in the capital city, Conakry, where the uncontrolled population growth serisoulsy threathens the people’s health and where political and food prices instability are leading to important pockets of malnutrition.
Despite a high agricultural potential, and vast fishing and mineral resources, Guinera remains a country facing a hard economic situation. This economic situation and healh problems are due to politicial instability, which marks the country for over a decade.
The country knows many ethnic, social and politicial conflicts. These conflicts contribute to the destabilization of the country which has been qualified as one of the most corrupt countries in Africa. Confrontations between trade unions-civil society and the government have sometines paralysed the country. The last political crises occurred in november 2010, during the second round of presidential elections. During this period, half of the population in Conakry did not have access to food. The rising of global food prices since 2008 has severely affected urban areas. The high population pressure lead to a contiinous degradation of natural resources.
While in the 90s Guina was the “haven” for refugees fleeing conflits of the region (Ivory Coast, Liberia, Sierra Leone), the progressive dismantling of refugee camps has been accompanied by a decrease in international aid. Due to poor africultural outputs, many rural migrants settled in cities, especially in Conakry, despite the bad living conditions. The instability in the country leads to a deterioration in the nutritional situation in Conakry. Proportion of population living under the poverty line could reach the 58% in 2015.
- About us
- What we do
- Our countries around the world
- Burkina Faso
- Central African Republic
- Democratic Republic of the Congo
- Kurdistan Region of Iraq
- Occupied Palestinian territory
- South Sudan
- Ivory Coast
- Sierra Leone
- Our fields of expertise
- Our countries around the world
- Get involved